Wonky Duckling - help please!!

• 13 Replies

kirstie1978

Wonky Duckling - help please!!
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:47 »
Hey everyone. I'm new here and came across this site whilst I was looking for help. I bought 2 chicks 4 days ago but whilst I was there the lady had a duckling with a crooked neck and a splayed leg. He had hatched that morning and she was going to wring his neck. Needless to say I ended up bringing him (or her) home! I have sorted out the cage and brooder with him with the chicks and made the floor non slippery. He is getting around ok albeit a bit slowly and hobbly. He snuggles up with the chicks albeit them half on top of him!! I just wondered if anyone had any experience of the longer term complications of deformed ducklings and if there's anything I can do to help him have a good happy life etc.   
Any info or advice is welcomed. I will mention it to my vet when I see him this week about my parrot but don't want to stress the duckling, affectionately named wonky, out by taking him the 45 min drive there until he's older unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing any advice

Kirstie

bantam novice

Re: Wonky Duckling - help please!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 13:25 »
Hello Kirsty, and welcome to the forum  :) .  I know nothing about ducks; however there are many good experienced people who will be along to advise you.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted.  It can sometimes help if you can post a picture.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

kirstie1978

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 13:47 »
is there any way of uploading videos as would probably show it better?

i have taken out the wood chippings as i thought initially they'd be ok but some say that they can eat them, so they were removed instantly! the joys of an unexpected addition!

Kirstie
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg
w&chick.jpg

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 15:41 »
Poor little chap he is wonky isn't he? I would think that there will be very little you can do. I would recommend that he does not go into water yet as ducklings can get very waterlogged in their little down overcoats as they are not waterproofed yet. As he grows he will be able to waterproof it himself by preening.He has a little gland near his tale. Make water available that he can dip his head in so he can 'bathe and preen' but not so he can get in it. As said I think that there will be very little you can do but wait and let Mother Nature take it's course although you (or your vet) must be prepared to help him on his way if you feel he is suffering or his quality of life is unacceptable.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 16:46 »
Aw poor wee thing :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 18:36 »
You have some good photos there.   :( Poor little thing

Best of luck  :)

kirstie1978

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 20:15 »
As far as i can see he seems happy and plays with the chicks, i can't see any evidence of pain, and if i did i would have him put down for sure.
However i am prepared to listen to the advice on here, as ultimately i want to do what's best by him

Thanks Kirstie

kirstie1978

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 22:45 »
Under the advice of people who have had crooked neck ducklings I have started mine on a supplement of vitamins. This has apparently helped cure many previously. It's been suggested I splint the legs with bandaids but I'm not sure how that will affect him so until I'm 100% sure will not attempt this. I am seeing my vet tomorrow and will seek his advice. I will keep you posted and any advice is welcomed as I want to give this littl'un the best chance of a happy life possible.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:16 »
Here is some helpful info on wry neck:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=61390

http://g-kexoticfarms.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=print;num=1254452978

For the splayed leg, you can make a little splint out of electrical tape between the 2 legs, holding them a suitable distance apart so that the funny leg is brought underneath him. Wrap the tape around one leg, then stretch a length to the other leg while laying him straight and then go around the other leg with the tape.

Pics and instructions here:
http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

and this is a good one:
http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Good luck!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:53 »
fingers crossed for him/her, I consider him/her to be your pet so like you would do all I could to give him/her a chance just so long as he/she isn't in pain. Good luck xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

kirstie1978

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 08:33 »
Thank you so much alot of good help and i feel a bit more positive now :o) Appreciate it!! Fingers crossed!!

kirstie1978

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21 »
ok well there appears to be improvement in his walking, which he can actually do since having strapped his legs.... so much so he's ok without! :o) his neck is still incredibly wonky and he hates the vitamin E, but we will persevere! I'll post pictures when i get a chance, thanks for the advice and support!

Kirstie

evie2

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 12:53 »
So glad there's improvement Kirstie :D

kirstie1978

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18 »
Although his neck isn't really improving, as you can see in the photo, his legs appear much better as he can stand! I can't believe how fast they're growing!

It also appears that Wonky has been upgraded to the latest comfort accessory for sleeping... a pillow!

I will keep you updated and thanks again for all the advice

Kirstie
Wonky standing.jpg
Wonky as a pillow!.jpg

xx
Argh! Wonky duckling - any more ideas?!

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 16:54
by r2d2
xx
wonky duck

Started by tesni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 14:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
One minute wonky....

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 14:24
by ANHBUC
xx
wonky beak

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 21:10
by Bodger

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 37 queries.